Real or artificial, Remy or not Remy, from the semi-permanent technique to the fastest do-it-yourself: everything you need to know before you undergo hair lengthening! Try titanium flat iron for best hairstyles!
A technique beloved by celebrities, who can go from a very short bob to long impeccable hairstyles in no time, exstension hair is a beuaty hair trend that has now also entered the habits of ordinary women. The choice of resorting to hair lengthening can depend on the desire to run for cover because of a wrong short cut, the simple need to change and see yourself different or in conjunction with special events, such as parties or ceremonies where you want to show off a long hair or have the opportunity to make crops. Actually the extension is useful even if you want to rethink your hair.
In order to guarantee an impeccable result and to proceed with a correct application, it is necessary, however, to be informed immediately about some aspects, including the different types that you have available, the timing and the care to be given to the hair with extensions.
Before revealing all the things you need to know about the subject, we would like to remind you of tips to take care of your hair properly and always show off perfect hair.
The different types of extensions
First of all it is good to know that they can be done with real or artificial hair, made using synthetic fibres. In addition, the classification, in addition to the type of hair, also takes into account the type of hairline.
It is a semi-permanent technique (5 months) and involves the hairline extension on the basis of natural hair using heated keratin. It is undoubtedly the type that guarantees the best result from an aesthetic point of view, but it may be that the hot fixative glues too much damage the hair or create irritation to the skin. It should therefore be avoided if you have fragile and damaged hair.
Also known as weaving, this method consists of knotting the strands of extensions to those of real hair.
It lasts about three months.
In this case you create parallel braids with your own hair to which the locks of exstension are sewn.
Among the semi-permanent techniques, it is the fastest but the regrowth of natural hair is quite evident.
Now let’s move on to the fastest and shortest lasting techniques.
Extension micro ring
Also called extension with rings, this method involves the application of the locks through small rings. It lasts about a month, because with the natural regrowth of the hair, the extensions inevitably go down.
- It is the fastest, cheapest and least invasive solution, which also allows DIY.
- In this technique the locks are fixed with clips or even with adhesive tape (adhesive extensions).
- They have the advantage of allowing you to remove everything with simple moves and apply it even just for an evening or a special event. Certainly the effect is not impeccable, but you can have long hair every time you want without too much upheaval and meddling.
Hair extension: natural or artificial?
After having seen the various types of hairline techniques, let’s now move on to the other classification: the type of hair extension. These can be real or synthetic: the former, more expensive and of better quality, the latter, cheaper and less durable and impeccable.
- The most suitable natural hair extensions are those of Indian origin, followed by Chinese. It is better to avoid Brazilian hair extensions and those of dubious origin because they could be treated with silicones and chemicals.
- There is another detail you should always keep in mind for natural hair extensions: make sure they are not the result of violence and that they are made in compliance with European Community production standards; you should find the words “ethically correct hair” on the product packaging, or, if you go to the hairdresser, make sure that appropriate and ethically sustainable products are used.
Another aspect to consider is the difference: Remy hair or no Remy hair.
- Remy real hair is the best quality – and therefore to be preferred – and consists of tufts of real hair that, within each lock, follow the natural direction of the hair from root to tip, allowing the cuticles to create a protective layer and maintain volume, body and shine.
- Non-Remy hair is collected from the ground after a cut, and being mixed together, it is not possible to distinguish the direction of the cuticles. This is why they undergo a treatment – desquamation – to loosen knots and make real hair extensions shine.
How to cure them
If you have extensions, you need to take better care of your hair. Obviously we are talking in particular about semi-permanent techniques that can stress the hair a little more.
- Wash your hair at least 3 times a week, avoiding doing it upside down otherwise you will create knots.
- Make a mask at least once a week.
- Brush your hair often, gently and carefully, to avoid the formation of knots. If you have opted for the keratin technique, go back to your hairdresser at least once a month to remove the hair that has remained stuffed in the keratin.
Generally the price of semi-permanent techniques, keratin in primis, ranges from 300 to 500 euros. It is estimated that an average of 80-100 locks are applied to the foliage.
Clip or bioadhesive tape extensions have a much lower price, which is around 30 euros.
Short hair extensions: yes or no?
But can they be done on short hair or can they only be done from medium length? The answer is yes, as long as they are at least 10-15 centimetres long and thick enough to bear the weight.
In these cases you can choose long or medium length exstensions, making sure not to exaggerate in quantity to avoid the weight being too much for the root. As the procedure on short canopies is more complex, the advice is to rely on experienced growers.
Extension curls, do they exist?
Normally we are used to thinking about smooth extensions, but curly extensions also exist! Women with curly or wavy hair can sleep soundly.
Often these are strands of straight hair that have undergone permanent wear, but this is not necessarily a negative aspect, because this beauty treatment allows resistance and prevents them from being ruined. In short, there is something for everyone!